Orchard Specialist Trainee
Fishkill Farms is seeking a qualified Orchard Specialist for the 2015 season. This is a great opportunity for someone seeking to deepen their knowledge of fruit production at one of the Hudson Valley’s most diversified, ecologically-advanced fruit & vegetable farms. Candidates should come with a background of horticultural education and a variety of field experience, plus a desire to gain further experience and practical knowledge of orchard management. He or she will take responsibility for aspects of production in areas of specific interest and knowledge, and will have the opportunity to train and research in others. Additionally, the Orchard Specialist Trainee will train field workers, interface with extension service and other farmers, and work to provide insight into other operations and innovations in the industry.
About Fishkill Farms
Fishkill Farms is a 150 acre fruit and vegetable farm located in East Fishkill, NY. Our vegetables (20 acres), berries and a portion of our apples are grown organically, and the balance is low-spray eco-apple certified. Produce is marketed through a 200-member CSA, an on-site farm store, wholesale outlets, and three farmers markets in NYC. In addition, the farm is open for pick-your-own all season, starting with peas and strawberries and culminating with apples in the Fall. During the height of our PYO season over 4,000 people can visit the farm in one day!
Specific areas of responsibility:
- Working with crews to manage pruning, mowing, scouting, harvest etc. for our tree fruit and berry crops: apples, cherries, plums, peaches, nectarines, strawberries, blueberries, brambles & more.
- Training (if needed), record-keeping and verification of workers progress.
- All aspects of horticultural management of young trees, in high density and semi-dwarf systems.
- Daily activity log by block, written scouting reports, tool organization and maintenance, process management, supervision and training of others.
- Research & education concerning areas of nutrient management, pollination, IPM, pruning, & horticulture including high tunnel fruit production.
- This is a hand-on position: 80-85% work in the field and 15-20% research, recordkeeping etc.
- Additional responsibilities may include on-farm education & visits from the public.
- Possibility of working one farmer’s market per week.
Required knowledge, skill and abilities:
- At least one season’s experience or educational background in fruit production
- Experience in mechanical operation a strong plus but not required
- A team-player who works well within an organization having a great diversity of cultures and backgrounds.
- A hard-working ethic and good-natured disposition.
- A demonstrated ability to maintain good records and written explanations.
- Excellent customer relations.
For more information please contact Jess at email@example.com. To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Orchard Specialist Trainee” in the subject line.