Hopewell Junction, NY
About the Farm
Fishkill Farms is a 3rd-generation, 270 acre fruit and vegetable farm in the Hudson River Valley, only 70 miles north of New York City. Practicing sustainable farming, our produce is sold through Pick-Your-Own, CSA, our farm store, farmer’s markets and wholesale. Fishkill Farms grows over 100 acres of eco-certified and organic tree fruit and organic berries. Crops include peaches, cherries, strawberries and over 60 acres of dessert and cider apples, grown primarily for Pick-Your-Own and cider. At peak we host thousands of visitors a day for apple picking. The farm produces its own fresh-pressed cider, homemade pies, donuts and artisan hard cider.
About the Position
Fishkill Farms is seeking an Orchardist and Fruit Production Manager to work closely with an experienced production team to manage the cultivation, pest management, harvest and packing of the dozens of types of fruits we produce.
Candidates should come with a background of horticultural education, work on commercial farms and leadership experience, plus a desire to gain further skills and practical knowledge. Our ideal candidate is enthusiastic about sustainable farming on a large scale, and equally comfortable with the hands-on and the administrative aspects of fruit production.
This is an exciting opportunity to work with an great team in a dynamic workplace, and to broaden one’s understanding of community-based farming at a quickly growing agricultural enterprise!
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
- Oversee the daily and seasonal production tasks for our trees and berry plants: planting, pruning, trellising, training, mowing, spraying, cultivating, harvest, packing etc.
- Hands-on supervision of crews of up to 20 year-round and seasonal employees including training, scheduling, work plan development etc.
- Regular scouting for pests, diseases and monitoring of plant health to develop pest and nutrient management plans.
- Budgeting and oversight of production-related expenses including inventory management and purchasing of supplies, packaging materials, and tools.
- Operation of tractors, irrigation pumps, and various farm machinery, including application of organic and non-organic crop protectants with an orchard sprayer.
- Assist in pick-your-own operations including helping the many visitors the farm receives.
- Maintain detailed records for internal purposes as well as for the farm’s certifications (eco-apple and organic).
Proficiencies and Qualifications
- At least 3 years production experience on a similar sized operation, with one year of experience in a leadership role.
- Expertise in fruit and vegetable production, understanding of agricultural pests, diseases and crop protectants and prior experience working on a diversified fruit farm.
- Proficiency with farm equipment including tractors and tractor-drawn implements.
- High level of organization; excellent communication skills. Ability to work effectively and cooperatively in a team setting.
- Proficiency with spreadsheet and word processing software such as excel and google docs.
- Ability to comfortably and safely lift 50 lbs.
- Comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Driver’s license and clean driving record.
This is a year-round, full-time position on our farm; with hours varying with the seasons. Competitive salary commensurate with experience; potential for housing on the farm. Benefits include 401k and PTO plan.