Hopewell Junction, NY
About the Farm
Fishkill Farms is a 3rd-generation, 270 acre fruit and vegetable farm in the Hudson River Valley, only 70 miles north of New York City. Practicing sustainable farming, our produce is sold through Pick-Your-Own, CSA, our farm store, farmer’s markets and wholesale. At peak we host thousands of visitors a day for apple picking. The farm produces its own fresh-pressed cider, homemade pies, donuts and artisan hard cider. Fishkill Farms is a “split operation”- part of our acreage is certified organic, while the remaining is ecologically-grown and certified.
About the Position
We’re seeking an experienced farmer to take the lead in our production of tree fruit and berries, from peaches and cherries to apples, strawberries and more. The Orchardist and Production Manager will work closely with the Owner and the Farm Manager, as well as an experienced production team to grow, harvest and pack the fruits and vegetables we grow on over 100 acres of fertile land.
Candidates should come with a background of horticultural education and a variety of field and leadership experience, plus a desire to gain further experience and practical knowledge. Our ideal candidate is enthusiastic about sustainable farming on a commercial scale, and equally comfortable with the hands-on and the administrative aspects of farming.
Working at Fishkill Farms is an exciting opportunity to broaden one’s understanding of diversified, direct-market farming, while playing a critical role in a rapidly growing agricultural enterprise!
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
- Oversee the daily and seasonal production tasks for our trees and berry plants: planting, pruning, trellising, training, mowing, spraying, cultivating, harvest, packing etc.
- Hands-on supervision of crews of up to 25 year-round and seasonal employees including training, scheduling, work plan development etc.
- Regular scouting for pests, diseases and monitoring of plant health to develop pest and nutrient management plans.
- Budgeting and oversight of production-related expenses including inventory management and purchasing
- Operation of tractors, irrigation pumps, and various farm machinery.
- Assist in pick-your-own operations including helping the many visitors the farm receives
- Maintain detailed records to satisfy internal record-keeping requirements as well as for certifying agencies.
Proficiencies and Qualifications
- At least 5 years production experience on a similar sized operation, with one year of experience in a leadership or management role.
- Expertise in commercial fruit and vegetable production, understanding of agricultural pests, diseases and crop protectants.
- Proficiency with farm equipment including tractors and tractor-drawn implements.
- High level of organization; excellent communication skills. Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with management and staff.
- Proficiency with spreadsheet and word processing software such as excel and google docs.
- Driver’s license and clean driving record.
For more information please send a resume, cover letter, and two professional references with “Orchard Production Manager 2019” in the subject line to jobs@ fishkillfarms.com.
This is a year-round, full-time position on our farm; with hours varying with the seasons. Competitive salary commensurate with experience; potential for housing on the farm. Benefits include 401k and PTO plan.